Business Objective: A client, Manufacturer X, wanted to accelerate their speed to market, reduce cost of innovation, and drive topline growth based on their trade spend when it came to promotions. In this specific case, they were looking to test whether or not the assumed winning concept for a new campaign would actually provide the greatest value when executed in the the context of the store.
Business Functions Impacted:
Manufacturer X planned to order 25,000 displays for a new Back to School campaign. Historically, they would hire an agency to develop design concepts, wait for feedback from promotional leadership, and work with the display provider to revise and produce two or three physical prototypes. These would then be reviewed in the office without any context of how they would play out in-store, where they would be merchandised, if they stood out amongst other displays, etc.
Instead, they decided to use VR solutions to test three different display concepts provided by their agency. They wanted to learn whether or not the complex display concept—assumed to be the most effective—was the right investment.
Using ShopperMX™ Indicators, the client was able to take the three levels of execution design provided by their creative agencies and test their impact with shoppers before placing the order.
While traditional research methods may cost upwards of $150,000 to evaluate 2 to 3 prototypes and can take months, ShopperMX™ Indicators are a relatively low cost option that provide quantitative results related to sales performance in a matter of days. Through quick, iterative virtual tests, Manufacturer X learned that the most expensive version of the display would actually result in poor sales performance, and the least expensive display performed best.
And since the designs were already in ShopperMX™, InContext quickly converted these into storytelling videos, integrating not only a voiceover story highlighting historical performance, but insights related to optimal placement, expected results, and shopper perception. These were then deployed to the field teams’ tablets through ShopperMX™ Mobile, driving compliance and resulting in program sales being the highest in the past four years.
Contrary to the initial hypothesis, the Indicator report found the simple execution performed best. By investing in the simple instead of the complex design, the client saved $40 per display for total savings of $1,000,000.
The client quickly executed the winning concept in stores using video materials for sales teams, maximizing speed to market and quickly capturing topline growth from the display investment.
Top Ways to
Win at Retail
- Maximize Your Investment in Promotional Marketing
- Improving Performance of a Field Sales Organization
- Identify Optimal Shelf Arrangement
- Overcome Buyer Objections And Implement Best-In-Class POG Strategy
- Investing in a Category Shopping Experience
- New Product Distribution Success
- Shelf Arrangement Sales Strategy
- Reducing Costs Associated with Mock Centers
ShopperMX™ In Action
Recent Press Coverage
- InContext Solutions Extends ShopperMX into Apparel and Footwear
- Virtual decision-support platform for retailers
- InContext Solutions Launches Next Generation of Its Virtual Decision-Support Platform for Retail, ShopperMX™
- This Fast-Growing VR Startup’s Hiring Secret: Gaming Engineers
- Accenture, Qualcomm, and Kellogg team up on eye-tracking mobile VR for retailers